Image Header

Monday 12 May 2014

Salmon-avocado-egg sandwich

Having been inspired by some of my more industrious friends and their forays in the kitchen, I decided that I too, should whip up some home-cooked food. I must confess, however, that the primary impetus behind cooking for myself is because the parents pay for the groceries and I get to eat large amounts/varieties of food without having to spend a bomb, or be judged by people for my appetite. Needless to say this does not bode well for my rapidly expanding waistline, but... yolo.. I guess.

So here is my lunch: smoked salmon, avocado and cream cheese and scrambled egg sandwich, with croutons and lady's finger cooked in chilli. 
As you can tell I could not care less about whether the food goes together or not – I would probably not survive a day on masterchef – choosing to cook whatever tickles my fancy. This is a recipe for myself to refer back to whenever the craving strikes again.

Ingredients
- Smoked salmon (can be bought from Fairprice)
- 2 eggs
- Full cream milk (about 1/8 cup)
- 2/3 pieces of bread
- Little bit of butter (or cooking oil will do if you have low standards)
- Salt
- Cream cheese (2 small wedges)
- Ground black pepper
- Slice of lemon

Instructions
1. Slice off the crusts of the bread and cut them into smaller pieces for the croutons

2. Cut the avocado into two. For future reference this is what an unripe avocado looks like. Difficult to mash and still chunky. 
3. Remove the seed, score the avocado and scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
4. Mash the avocado, add the cream cheese in and mix well. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice and grind some black pepper into it. 
*Decided to add cream cheese because my avocado was too unripe to mash and wouldn't form a paste so i thought cream cheese might solve that problem, and it did. Achievement unlocked. If avocado is ripe, cream cheese can be omitted

5. Grease a skillet with some butter and fry the crusts of bread on medium heat until brown on both sides.

6. Toast the pieces of bread on medium heat for 8 minutes on 1 side. Flip and toast for 3 minutes until brown on both sides.

8. Spread the avocado and cream cheese spread on the toasts, followed by the scrambled eggs and top with smoked salmon.


Instructions for lady's finger not included because it is literally lady's finger fried haphazardly with chilli lying around the house. Included because I had a craving for this and I like how my food looks with vegetables in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment